Here is a way to do your laundry in an emergency. You can easily put this together yourself. I wish that we would have had this while camping many times! Now, we will!
- 5-gallon bucket with lid (cut hole in middle of lid for plunger handle to fit through)
- Toilet plunger (brand-new, clean) or “The Breather handwasher”
- Store in bucket:
- Liquid laundry detergent
- Stain remover/stain stick
- Vinegar (add 1/2 cup to rinse water) helps remove soap
- 1/2 measuring cup or device
- Rope (for clothes line)
- 150 Clothes pins
- opt. clothes pin bag (to keep them together)
Empty contents of bucket.
- Place water, small amount of detergent, and clothes in bucket.
- Move plunger up and down for a few minutes or until clothes are clean.
- Remove soapy clothes and ring them out.
- Dump out soapy water (on your garden or lawn.)
- Place soapy clothes in bucket and fill with clear, clean water.
- Add 1/2 cup vinegar to rinse water.
- Move plunger up and down to rinse clothing.
- Wring out clothes and hang to dry.
- Conserve water – use rinse water for next load of laundry.
NOTE: You could use two or 3 5-gallon buckets, stacked side by side of each other. Use one bucket for the soapy water and the other two for the rinse water. You may be able to wash and rinse a couple of batches of clothes without changing the soapy water depending on how dirty the clothes are.