HUMMUS– I learned to really love hummas when I lived in the Middle East. There is nothing like fresh, steaming hot flat bread, with hummas to dip into Delicious!
Zucchini Hummus– this one is AMAZING! I love to eat it on my bread, loaded up with sprouts!
- 2 cups Chopped, unpeeled young zucchinis
- 2/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Juice of 2 fresh lemons
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Sea salt
Place all ingredients in food processor. Puree and serve with crudités or pita chips.
- 2 Tbsp. Tahini
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Pumpkin oil
- 3/4 tsp. Sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. Ground pepper
- 15 oz. Pumpkin, baked or canned
- 4 Cloves garlic, passed through a garlic press
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro
Place all ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth. Spoon into a decorative stoneware serving bowl and serve chilled.
Vegetarian Dill Filling
Cook 5 T. brown rice and 1 ½ T millet with a little salt in 1-1/2 c. water until done, about 40 min. Add more water if needed. Cool
Mix rice/millet with
- 2 T. mayonaise or salad dressing
- 3 T yogurt sour cream
- ¼ c. dill relish
- 1 t. dried chives, rubbed
- 1 t. dried parsley, rubbed
- 1 t. dill weed
- salt to taste
- white or black pepper to taste
Refrigerate. Makes a heaping cup.
Yogurt sour cream
Mix in blender on low for 10 sec.
- 5 c. warm water
- 1 1/3 c. non-instant powdered milk
- 2 heaping serving spoons (the ones that came with your silverware set) of plain yogurt with live culture in it.
Pour into 2 qt. Jar and put lid on it. Put in tall skinny ice chest with a couple more jars or pitchers of the hottest tap water in it. Put lid on ice chest. Check in about 3 hours. Tip the jar, if the yogurt pulls away from the side like pudding it is done.
Put a strainer over a 4 c. measure. Line strainer with 2 layers paper towel. Pour yogurt into strainer, cover with another paper towel and refrigerate until liquid is drained off. Continue to drain until it is the thickness of soft cream cheese. Then it is ready to use. It makes about 1 c.
You can flavor with fruit and sugar also. Make sure to account for the liquid in the fruit when you decide how stiff to get your yogurt. It ends up softer than it starts out.